Authors: Nikki Cristello

Students have been tracing their hands with brightly colored chunks of chalk in support of Hands on Habitat all of this week.

Hands on Habitat is an awareness campaign to symbolize the thousands of hands in the CSU community that support Habitat for Humanity.

Matt Huntington, a junior mechanical engineering major , was one of the Greeks who volunteered to ask people to trace their hands on the Plaza.

“Putting your hand on Habitat means we are trying to make this a campus-wide effort rather than a Greek only effort,” Huntington said.

Alexander Monteith, a senior accounting and finance major, was another Greek volunteer.

“I think it is great to support the building of this house for the family in need,” Monteith said.

The family in need is the Strikic family.

Now U.S. citizens, the Strikics have been through war-torn Bosnia and suffered through the Buffs in Boulder before settling in Fort Collins.

The family has already secured their required $1,000 down payment and has been contributing 500 “sweat equity” hours to be able to start work on and live in their home.

The family spoke briefly yesterday at noon along with Candace Mayo, executive director of Habitat for Humanity.

“This is our absolute dream,” said Jasmina Strikic, mother and wife. “This is extra special to us and we just want to thank everyone who has helped us and who will help us.”

Wife and mother, Jasmina, husband and father, Davor, and 8-year-old Aida will move into their new home by this fall.

“We are ready to build,” Mayo said. “We are thrilled to be working with the Greek community, and with interior design students.”

CSU construction management students will also be contributing to the house, and Mayo said they are hoping to work with the landscape design department as well.

Corey Longhurst, a sophomore business management major and the vice president of public relations for the Inter-fraternity Council said he supports Habitat for Humanity because of the vision.

“This is the Greek community thinking outside the box,” Longhurst said. “We are an organization that has a heart for philanthropy. We are always giving to something larger.”

Faith Robison, freshman biology major, supported the event by tracing her hand on the Plaza Thursday.

“I’ve already gone on a few build sites for Habitat,” Robison said. “This is a great thing to support.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached@news@collegian.com.