Authors: Anica Wong

As part of a new disability awareness initiative, the Resources for Disabled Students is hosting a presentation given by Leroy Moore.

Moore calls himself “a black disabled man with a big mouth and a high I.Q,” and his presentation, “Black Blind Blues to Krip Hip-Hop” will focus on the influences of black disabled people in the music industry.

The presentation will be on Friday, March 30 at 7 p.m. in the East Ballroom of the Lory Student Center.

Born with cerebral palsy, Moore himself is a poet, writer, musician and above all, a community activist. His lectures and workshops about black disabled musicians are only one of many activities that occupy his time.

One such activity is Moore’s help in the founding of the National Minorities with Disabilities Coalition, an organization that is committed to the ideas of equality and opportunity for all disabled people.

“Disablity is part of who he is,” said Karin Bright, a counselor in RDS. “He is not afraid to share that with people.”

Many different mediums, including music by Moore and historical stories, will be incorporated into the presentation to help audience members learn about black disabled artists and their contributions to the music arena.

Some of those black disabled musicians are Cripple Clarence Lofton, Blind Lemon Jefferson and JF Boogie Blind.

“Moore’s presentation brings a different message. It is not about overcoming disabilities, but normalizing disabilities,” said Bright.

This presentation is one of a larger initiative put on by RDS called Rethinking Disability, which is funded by the Committee for Disabled Student Accessibility.

The focus of the initiative is to change how people perceive disabilities, according to Bright, who is also an organizer for the project.

“We want to move away from looking at disabilities from a deficit stand-point to thinking of disabilities from a social model,” she said.

Staff writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com.