Seniors get their fash’on

Authors: Hilary Davis

Senior apparel and design students watched as their final collections came down the runway Tuesday night at the annual department of design and merchandising fashion show, “Breaking the Silhouette.”

Tuesday was the second night of the two-day show, which featured 23 student designers’ collections on 47 student models.

“Everything was awesome,” Jillian Fisher, head of the promotions and hospitality committee said. “The models were beautiful, the clothes were perfect and all the hard work paid off.”

Collections were targeted primarily at women and featured maternity wear, evening gowns, business attire and even a collection to be worn to the Kentucky Derby. Two lines were targeted to men, and one line was specifically targeted to lesbian and bisexual women.

Fisher was one of many students involved in the production and execution of the annual show. Apparel and design students participated by taking tickets, dressing models and helping set up.

“Everyone worked so hard, everything was perfect,” Ben Martch, an apparel and merchandising major and member of the promotions committee said. “It was a lot of work, but [AM 496] has been the best class I’ve taken at CSU.”

The designers not only created the concepts and designs, but also sewed every garment and created every accessory by hand. For them, the show was a culmination of a college career – a terrifying yet thrilling experience.

“It was nerve wracking enough to show my designs to the other women in the major,” designer Tate Newburgh said. “It’s really scary to show them to 300 people who may not know anything about fashion.”

The show also provided a sense of closure for the senior design students who will now begin internships, start working at big companies or even start their own labels.

“We spent so many nights together getting no sleep, sewing, creating patterns,” Newburgh said. “This is our finale,”

The judges for the show handed out designer awards including “Best Trendsetter,” “Best Special Occasion Collection” and “Best Line Concept.” The coveted “Best of Show” award went to Jackie Meyers for her snowboard and street wear collection.

The College of Applied Human Sciences also recognized Kristen Morris as the college’s outstanding senior of 2007.

Staff writer Hilary Davis can be reached at news@collegian.com