Authors: Sean Reed

Global warming, the AIDS epidemic, blood diamonds in Africa – most of us are fairly familiar with these, and many other issues facing the world. However, there is one issue that is not being taught in your Current World Problems class. Her name is Ann Coulter. She is the epitome of what is wrong with political discourse in this country.

Everything about this woman is evil. Her opinions, her jokes, even her initials hint at some inner darkness. A.C. – Ann Coulter – Anti-Christ – A Coincidence? I think not.

Many may ask, why should we care about some conservative pundit? The fact of the matter is, she is not just any political commentator. Ann has written five New York Times bestsellers, appeared on numerous talk shows and has a syndicated column. People are listening – this is terrifying.

The problem is not that I disagree with her. I almost certainly do, but I cannot be sure. In most of her tirades, she never gets to what she does think, but rather what is stupid to her – which is usually anything Democrats generally agree on.

However, in the few instances where she actually does share where opinion, without resulting to ad hominem attacks on liberals, she displays nothing but astounding bigotry.

On the issue of terrorism, she shows a light touch. In a televised interview on June 20, 2006, with the BBC’s Jeremy Paxman, she said, “I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo.” In the same interview, she is also quoted as saying, “the question is not, ‘Are all Muslims terrorists?’ The question is, ‘Are all terrorists Muslims?’ The answer is yes.”

I found this revelation enlightening. I mean, I had no idea that Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols were Muslims, but I guess that shows how much I know. Unless, of course, Ann does not believe these men were terrorists.

However, to be fair, Ann has mentioned regret about the Oklahoma City bombing. In an interview with George Gurley of the New York Observer, she once cleverly remarked, “My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building.” A tactful observation from a very sensitive woman.

When not making inflammatory comments about Muslims or making wisecracks about horrific events, Coulter also likes to insinuate that prominent Democratic officials are homosexuals. The first was Bill Clinton.

In an interview on July 25, 2006, with Donny Deutsch, Coulter coyly answered in the affirmative when asked whether she thought Clinton displayed “latent homosexuality.”

Now, Bubba may be a lot of things, but a homosexual is not one of them – not that there would be anything wrong if he were. Ann of all people should know this. She worked closely as an unpaid member of Paula Jones’ legal staff when she tried to sue him for allegedly propositioning her.

Much worse is a shot she took at John Edwards earlier this month at the Conservative Political Action Conference. In her closing remarks, she said she would comment about “Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word ‘faggot.'” Amid controversy, Coulter defended her slur on “Hannity and Colmes” later by saying that “(the word) faggot isn’t offensive to gays.”

This sort of behavior has no place in American discourse. Coulter acts like she is debunking the “liberal” notion of political correctness, but in truth, she is just a mean-spirited bigot.

I wish I could use the proper words to describe this woman and my feelings for her, but I have heard the Collegian will send me to sensitivity training if I use the words “cold anorexic wench.” I would like to avoid that.

Sean Reed is a junior political science major. His column appears every Wednesday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.