“Why Should We Care?”

Authors: Nick Hemenway

One of my favorite things over the years I have been here at CSU has always been the season changing to spring. From the nice cool nights to seeing all the trees on campus spring to life – I can’t get enough of it. Then again, spring also brings on another season at CSU – ASCSU election season. No longer are we pedestrians safe walking across the plaza. We are ruthlessly tracked and hunted by those wearing the same colored T-shirts. We are told who to vote for and how important it is that we vote for them. However, my question this year is the same as it always has been – why should we care?

In last year’s elections, only 4,554 or 20.18 percent of us actually voted. I don’t think I am out of line when I say these numbers prove students don’t care much about these elections. I figure a good chunk of those votes are from direct friends of the candidates, and the rest of them are people like me who see voting for ASCSU positions as a way to kill some time between classes.

A question I think we should all consider is: When have I seen any effect of an ASCSU election? For me, the answer is never. I realize by saying that, I just sent several people running to the nearest computer to write me a letter telling me about all these great and noble things past administrations have done, like Ram Ride. I am not disputing the fact that the positions have a role; I’m saying that with such little difference between the two tickets, what would really change between outcomes?

The point of the upcoming elections is to decide between two pairs of students. When a voter is to decide among two things, it’s necessary to examine the differences that exist between them. So far in this election, those differences are hard to find. If you visit the two teams’ Web sites, you’ll see that their platforms involve the same things we all come to expect them to say, with the added bonus of some obscure activities planned in the middle. It’s similar to high school, when I was told my student body president would fight for longer lunch periods. Needless to say, that didn’t happen.

You might think I am being a bit harsh on ASCSU, but they have not been doing anything to change my mind. If you read the paper last week, you probably saw that ASCSU has finally taken a stance on the war in Iraq. What a surprise – they are against the war. Personally, I was relieved when they announced this. At last, our country can move on. I actually got a call from George W. Bush this morning (he called me on my cell), and he told me that he heard about the vote, and since he respects ASCSU’s wisdom and knowledge on the subject, our troops are coming home next week. Thank you ASCSU for focusing on things that affect the student body.

All jokes asides, until some candidate comes along and thinks of some useful things to do in office, the ASCSU elections are condemned to mediocrity. I want someone to do something radical. With everyone complaining about tuition increases, why doesn’t some president take the $16 million they have in their control and immediately give it back to the people in the form of cash and Mountain Dew? Write my name in there and I’ll show you how business gets done.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears every Tuesday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.