Authors: Emily Polak

Student fees could spike more than 20 percent next year if the Student Fee Review Board approves plans proposed Monday by the Lory Student Center Governing Board.

The LSC is requesting a 21 percent fee increase for operations, construction and renovation. The LSC currently receives $72.98 per student, per semester. If the request for a fee increase is granted, each student will pay $88.37 in fees each semester – more than $15 dollars more per student, per semester.

The proposed budget increase translates to nearly $1 million more in student fees next year just for the LSC.

According to Mike Ellis, LSC director, 18 percent of the fee is going to increases in general and administrative costs, including maintenance and overall services that are identified in CSU President Larry Penley’s stretch goals.

“The large increase is due to the overall increase in operating costs by the university,” Ellis said. “If you want to maintain and enhance the quality of your education at CSU, Penley is suggesting these increases.”

The rest of the proposed fee increase will go toward personnel costs and renovations for the 45-year-old building.

“There’s lots going on and lots going into this budget,” Ellis said.

The LSC is requesting a separate 89-cent per semester fee increase to fund the Association for Student Activity Programming (ASAP), which is set to work under the LSC next year rather than ASCSU as it does this year.

“ASAP Moving under them (the LSC) will really help them flourish,” said Sadie Conrad, vice president of ASCSU. “I’m hoping that with the support of the LSC, we can bring big concerts and comedians to campus.”

The University Technology Fee Advisory Board (UTFAB) also presented its own budget presentation Monday, which did not include a request increase student fees.

The University Technology Fee is currently $15 per semester per student, and is not expected to increase.

“It is just another fee to go up,” said Ben Griffiths, chair of UTFAB. “It’s not really needed, so why anger the students.”

Griffiths and Pat Burns, vice president of the Information Technology department explained to the SFRB where the funds they are currently allocated go.

The highest funded area is the Student Information System, or RAMweb. Following the SIS is the library and classroom technology.

Burns and the IT department are planning improvements, including a new server devoted to running RAMweb to make it a more efficient tool for students.

“We are doing lots of good things because of your funding,” Burns said. “It’s because of you that we are upgrading the SIS.”

Other improvements include new laptops for the library and replacement projectors in classrooms.

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com.