Authors: Marissa HuttonGavel

Students traveled to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City over the weekend to claim their awards for excellence in reporting, photography, radio broadcasts and televised feature stories.

The Rocky Mountain Collegian, CTV and KCSU were each honored by the Society of Professional Journalists, SPJ, a national organization that promotes student journalism and ethical journalistic practices.

“As a senior it was an honor to be recognized,” Associate Visual Managing Editor for the Collegian, Tanner Bennett said.

Along with three individual awards, the Collegian was named third “Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper,” while “Best Student Magazine” was given to College Ave.

The Collegian staff was also recognized for “Our View” in the “Staff Editorials” category.

On-air personalities Emily Rogers and Alex Hannum took first place in “Radio News Reporting” for their story for KCSU on a gas leak on Drake Street.

KCSU staffers took first place in “Radio In-Depth Reporting” and “Radio Sports Reporting” as well.

CTV anchors Keri Lenderink and Josh Middleton took second place in the “Television Feature” category for “Fruit Stand Man,” a feature on a local merchant whose small business was forced to close due to supermarket chain stores opening in the area.

Middleton, a sophomore technical journalism major, was appreciative of the awards, as he said the work done in the Student Media offices in basement of the Lory Student Center often go without praise.

“It was good to get some recognition for the hard work we do day in and day out,” he said.

Campus editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel can be reached at news@collegian.com.