Authors: Nick Hubel

The Ram softball team just barely beat the rainstorms that soaked Fort Collins this weekend, squeezing in one of their two scheduled games against Northern Colorado on Friday before getting rained out.

The Rams were leading the Bears 6-2 in the sixth inning of the first game when the threat of lightning caused a stoppage of play. Play would not resume, but the Rams will still get the win because the game went past the five innings that are required to make a game official.

CSU was down 2-0 heading into the fourth inning, when the offense exploded for six runs and four hits including a grand slam from junior first baseman Julia Kloppe. The Rams also got good games at the plate from freshman outfielder Kayla Kreutzman who when 3 for 3 with an RBI and freshman shortstop Allison Majam who was 1 for 2 with a double.

On the defensive end, freshman pitcher Rebecca Penland went four innings, allowing two runs on five hits and picking up three strikeouts. Senior Jessica Strickland came in to relieve Penland in the fifth, recording two strikeouts and not allowing a hit.

The Rams would finish the game with six runs on eight hits and one error. The Bears picked up two runs on five hits and two errors.

Game two of the doubleheader is set be rescheduled, but the specifics of when and where have yet to be determined. Next week the Rams will travel to Nebraska to play a pair of doubleheaders against Creighton and Nebraska on Tuesday and Wednesday. Next home action is scheduled for Saturday, April 7 against the New Mexico Lobos.

Softball beat writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.