Authors: Hilary Davis

Senior apparel design and production students will have the chance to showcase their original creations at the College of Applied Human Sciences annual fashion show tonight.

“It’s so cool because all the students have made everything from head to toe,” Jillian Fisher, senior apparel and merchandising student said. “Amazing hats, beautiful dresses – it’s stuff I would pay for.”

Fisher is the head of the promotions and hospitality committee for the annual show.

Approximately 20 merchandising and design students are part of an application-only class to produce the show, which will feature the designs of 23 apparel design and production senior students.

All designs, which range from maternity wear to bridal gowns, were created by the seniors in their capstone classes prior to graduation or internships.

The fashion show is planned and produced entirely by students in the apparel and design program. They must also hire models, plan all garment fittings and arrange every detail in order to produce a professional runway show.

“It’s definitely been a lot of work,” Fisher said. “But it’s also been a good learning experience to manage our time and prioritize school and working on the show.”

CSU is the only university in Colorado to offer a four-year degree program in apparel design and production.

“I hope students come to the show to support the school and to see all the designs,” Fisher said. “I think the design school is one of CSU’s best-kept secrets. I’m in the major and I can’t believe how amazingly talented these students are.”

The show, titled “Breaking the Silhouette,” will run in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom tonight and Tuesday night at 7 p.m.

Tickets are available at the Campus Box Office and at the door. Tickets are $8 for students and $15 for non-students.

Staff writer Hilary Davis can be reached at news@collegian.com.