Authors: Brandon Owens

Despite setting a franchise record for victories, the Colorado Eagles will not be hosting the CHL’s Governor’s Cup for the second consecutive season.

The Colorado Eagles split its last two games of the regular season over the weekend to finish with a record of 46-17-1 and 93 points. However, the surging Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs won all three of its weekend games to cap a ten-game win streak and finish the season with 94 points.

On Saturday, the Eagles were defeated 8-4 by the host Arizona Sundogs in both teams final game of the regular season. With a win, the Eagles would have secured the Governors Cup, which goes to the team with the best regular season record.

Defenseman Aaron Schneekloth, right wing Brent Hughes and center Ed McGrane all scored in the third period, but it was too little and too late.

Eagles goalie Marco Emond was replaced by Paulo Colaiacovo early in the second period after giving up his fourth goal of the game. Colorado gave up a franchise worst seven goals in the period. The team had never given up more than five goals in a single period prior to Saturday night’s game.

Left wing Ryan Tobler had the only other Eagles goal, which he scored in the first period. He was later ejected from the game after punching Arizona right wing Chris Greene.

The win propels Arizona into the playoffs as a likely four seed in the Southern conference.

Colorado faired better when they traveled to Rio Rancho, N.M. to face the Southwest division champion New Mexico Scorpions Friday night. The game ended with a nearly exact opposite outcome of Saturday’s loss, as the Eagles defeated the Scorpions 8-3.

Tobler posted two goals and two assists during the contest, scoring the eighth and final goal for the Eagles. Tobler’s two assists brought his grand total to 300 for his career. McGrane and center Sean Robinson also added goals in the third period.

Colorado opened the game with five unanswered goals. Newly named CHL Most Outstanding Defenseman Brad Williamson, Hughes, Schneekloth, center Riley Nelson and Tobler all scored on the 5-0 run. Andrew Smale finally put the Scorpions on the board with about five minutes remaining in the second period.

The 46 wins on the season beat the Eagles previous high of 44 set during the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 seasons.

Individual tickets for the playoffs go on sale today. The Eagles will host its first game Friday.

Eagles beat reporter Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.