Authors: James Holt

Architects presented their plan for a new Computer Science building for CSU to the University Facility Fee Student Advisory Board Thursday in Morgan Library Thursday.

Construction of the student funded building is slated to begin July 1 in the grassy area between the Natural Resources Building and the Lory Student Center plaza and is estimated to take a year to complete. Planning began in May of last year.

“It was a priority for the University,” said Brian Chase, Director of Facilities. “Students got behind it and made it a student funded project.”

Last year, the University Facility Fee Student Advisory Board or UFFABB voted to fund the building with $12 million of student fees and this year voted for an additional $900,000 bringing the total cost to $12.9 million. Funds come from a $10 per-credit-hour fee paid for by every student.

“It’s one of the first student funded projects out of the ground,” said Jim Stoddard, overseeing project manager.

Computer Sciences are currently housed on the fourth floor of the university center on Howes Street, according to Toni Scofield on support staff for the UFFABB.

“Students sit at folding tables and it’s not even on campus,” she said. “[This project] has been a high priority for a lot of years.”

While the building is being built to house Computer Sciences, it is designed for maximum student use offering 50 new computers in a centralized 24-hour computer lab.

Architects Gabe Comstock, Erin Hillhouse, and Andy Nielson of Anderson Mason Dale Architects in Denver designed the nearly 45,000 square foot building with input from UFFABB. The four-story building will include about six classrooms, two lounges, offices, a conference room and a 24-hour computer lab open to all students.

The west wall – what the architects called “the spine” – will be a glass “curtain wall” allowing natural light into the lounge areas.

“You will be able to see the mountains from the higher level,” said Hillhouse.

The building will have entrances facing both the Lory Student Center plaza and the water plaza east of the Glover Building, maintaining the diagonal pathway already used by students. Block bricks and sandstone harkens back to the more traditional buildings around the Oval.

It will also be a part of living green at CSU. Nielson said the building would also have “the first ever under-floor air delivery system on campus.”

“Air would come up from the floor,” he said. “Much more energy efficient.”

Staff writer James Holt can be reached at news@collegian.com.