Authors: Anica Wong

Cesar Chavez fought for migrant farm worker’s rights in the 1960’s. During the week of March 26, CSU will be remembering this special man.

Cesar Chavez Day was designated by the Colorado Senate to be March 31, Chavez’s birthday.

The week-long event will begin with the film “Fighting for Our Lives” on Monday at 7 p.m. This film portrays a strike by the United Farm Workers in 1973. The movie will be shown at the Northside Aztlan Community Center, 112 E. Willow St.

Norberto Valdez, an associate professor of anthropology will present “Cesar Chavez, Bosses, Immigrants and Unions: Myths and Realities” as well.

“Part of (the activities) is to learn who Chavez is. The other part is to learn that the legacy he left impacts all of us,” said Mari Stombom, the director of student involvement and activities and the chair of the Cesar Chavez Committee.

Another film will be shown on Tuesday at noon in the Lory Student

Center Theatre. “Walkout” depicts the dramatic high school walkouts that students staged in 1968 to protest discrimination and poor conditions in California schools.

Also on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theatre, Su Teatro will be performing “Papi, Me and Cesar Chavez.” This play illustrates the United Farm Workers’ march to the California state capital through the eyes of a 10-year old boy. Su Teatro is a performing group from Denver.

The main event of the week will be the Cesar Chavez Day Celebration: A Tribute, which will happen on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in the Lory Student Center East Ballroom. Dancing by Quetzalcoatl and music by Grupo Aztlan will be featured that evening. Students and community members are encouraged to attend.

“Chavez marched from Delano, a place where there were many farms and farm workers, to the capital. So, we march from the student center, the central place on campus, to our capital, the Administration Building,” said Stombom.

A Cesar Chavez clothing drive has also been taking place and will continue until March 29. This drive will benefit migrant workers in the Northern Colorado area. Clothing items such as lightly used jeans, shirts, work boots and children’s clothes can be donated at Morgan Library, the Lory Student Center, the residence halls and the on-campus apartment complexes.

“Each year we have gotten more donated items than the year before,” Stombom said.

For more information on Chavez and the full list of the weeklong activities here at CSU, please visit http://fc-cesarchavez.org.

Staff Reporter Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com.