Authors: Rebecca Howard

CSU’s College of Business was recently ranked among the best undergraduate business programs in the country by Business Week magazine.

The magazine ranked 93 out of 123 eligible programs. CSU is the No. 63 spot. CU-Boulder and the University of Denver also made the list.

“It’s comforting to know that the school that is preparing me for my future career held such a high rank,” said Talia Sigala, a freshman accounting major.

The ranking was largely the result of surveys filled out by 77,000 students from the eligible schools. The magazine also looked at information such as class sizes, student-to-faculty ratios, the percentage of students with internships, starting salaries for graduates and test scores.

The magazine also polled more than 450 corporate recruiters on which schools they thought had the best business programs.

Susan Athey, the associate dean for undergraduate programs in the College of Business, said the student survey is largely to thank for CSU’s prestigious ranking.

“Our students had very good comments about the faculty and the program,” she said.

Athey also said that CSU’s business program has quality students, which helped because test scores and other information about students were used in the ranking.

Business Management instructor Mark Durand said the ranking could be attributed to both the faculty and the students.

“I think it’s an indication of the efforts of the dean and the faculty and the quality of the students,” Durand said. “We are preparing (students) quite well for the business world.”

Athey said she was pleased that CSU was in Business Week, as many schools are not even eligible for the ranking.

“We are very glad to be in the rankings because they only ranked 93 schools,” Athey said.

Staff writer Rebecca Howard can be reached at news@collegian.com.