Authors: J. David McSwane

CSU will host world-famous conservationist and nature activist Dr. Jane Goodall in Moby Arena, as part of its Monfort Lecture Series in April.

Goodall’s lecture, titled “A Reason to Hope,” will address the scientist’s life and work.

“I think individuals who attend her lecture will be inspired by her words: that we can all make a difference in the world,” said Jennifer Dimas, a CSU spokeswoman.

More than 40 years ago, Goodall became famous for her observation of Tanzanian chimpanzees, which debunked the scientific premise that humans were the only species capable of using tools and catapulted the notion that humans and primates are linked by evolution.

Her work has been echoed for generations both within and beyond the scientific community, as evidenced by references – and criticisms – of her work in popular culture.

In 2001, Goodall was parodied in the hit TV show “The Simpsons,” in which her wildlife refuge was portrayed as a hidden diamond mine where chimpanzees were exploited for free labor.

The real-life refuge, the Jane Goodall Institute, was founded in 1977 and continues her research and cause of protecting chimpanzees and their habitats.

Goodall has some big shoes to fill as the 2007 Monfort Lecture Series speaker.

Former Monfort lecturers at CSU include former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, General H. Norman Schwarzkopf and former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

___________________________________

Tickets are available at the Campus Box office, located in the Lory Student Center

When: 7:30 p.m., April 25

Where: Moby Arena

How Much: free