Authors: Grant Meech

While most students will be tanning and sipping on umbrella drinks at some exotic location during Spring Break, the CSU men’s lacrosse team will be running, sweating and working hard in a less-than-tropical locale.

The Rams are heading to Utah this weekend to play the University of Utah, Utah State and archrival Brigham Young University.

Senior Attackman Danny Stevens, along with the rest of the team, knows how hard the Rams are going to have to work. Each of the schools is competitive, and plans to give CSU a run for its money.

“Utah will be a tough team to face,” Stevens said. “They are still high in the rankings and have had some key wins this season, but definitely the biggest game of the trip is BYU.”

Last year, the Rams fell to the Cougars during the regular season 11-8, but got even during the playoffs, beating them in the semifinals 12-7. CSU routed Utah State last season 22-2, but know they can’t look past the Aggies this weekend.

“We don’t want to overlook Utah State,” sophomore goalie Lance Simmons said. “An unranked team beat the University of Colorado last week, so it can happen.”

The Rams have had a tough week of practice, working on conditioning and their transitioning game, moving the ball from the goalie to the defensemen and finally to the offensive side of the field. Simmons said the team and the coaches took a lot of the mistakes from the Oregon loss and brought them to practice to work on before heading off to Utah.

Stevens said that the Spring Break fever is still a concern – one that they think about when planning for the trip.

“We are worried they have their heads on right, hopefully everyone will have their heads into the game.”

Simmons gave his take on the mental aspects of the trip.

“This is the third year in a row for us; the games are first,” Simmons said. “We have never had a problem in the past. People are planned ahead, focused on the games and then they go on break.”

Men’s lacrosse beat writer Grant Meech can be reached at sports@collegian.com.