Authors: Marissa HuttonGavel

This is the third and final column in a series from campus editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel.

So they say it’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, but does that go for judging too? Is it better to have judged and lost than never to have judged at all?

I’m not convinced.

I spent my Friday night judging the final round of CSU Idol, but I wasn’t given a vote. Ultimately, I sat there for over an hour, gave my input, got booed for being too honest and then got shafted when it came down to the actual decision.

Something tells me that Randy and the crew wouldn’t stand for that.

The winner had been a favorite of mine since auditions – a natural crooner with just enough confidence to pull it off.

As the crowd favorite, he deservingly won the competition after a spot-on cover of an R&B favorite of mine – a religious ballad. He had the crowd on their feet by the time he left the stage and it was obvious who was walking away with the trophy before he sang the last note.

Apparently Jesus really is everyone’s homeboy.

The three contestants who placed were the ones I would have chosen and even though the crowd didn’t always like my criticism, maybe my little doses of Simon here and there worked after all.

All but one of the performances were deserving of an audience, (the one I am leaving out was just painful) and it was an OK time overall, but I can’t say that I would do it again. I don’t think people really care what I have to say about their singing abilities any more than I care about what they think about my writing prowess.

The real judges were the kids in the crowd supporting their friends. I can’t be mad at that, but I’m pretty sure my time could have been better spent.

When it comes to judging without a vote, it’s better to have just stayed home, as far as I’m concerned.

Campus editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel can be reached at news@collegian.com.