Breakfast and bonding

Authors: Liz Sunshine

Breakfast is the best meal of the day no matter what time you eat it. I am a major proponent of cereal as dinner and have been known to pull out the Captain for a quick pick me up. But this week I am sharing with you the beauty of all breakfast foods.

I decided that I wanted breakfast for dinner but couldn’t make a decision as to whether I wanted pancakes or French toast or eggs or a shake or potatoes, so to stay true to my family’s style, I went to the grocery store and picked up the ingredients to make them all.

When you get down to it, the ingredients are simple. You need eggs, cinnamon raisin bread, potatoes, frozen strawberries, ice cream, flour, syrup and some seasonings that are generally around the house anyway (i.e. salt, pepper and cinnamon).

Before you all think I have truly lost it, I was expecting five people (including myself) for dinner. Everyone was supposed to have options; they could have whatever they wanted.

Instead, Justin, the photographer, showed up shortly followed by Marissa. Justin has been taking photos for my column almost exclusively since I started writing it but Marissa and I have just started getting to know each other – this was only her second or third time joining the group.

She bounded into my apartment, still on an exercise high, and I immediately handed her a plate and asked how she wanted her eggs.

After piling cinnamon raisin French toast, homemade pancakes, scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes on everyone’s plates and pouring everyone a strawberry shake we sat down to stuff our faces and enjoy the evening. After Justin had finished eating, he headed out to study and work off all the food he had consumed (check out the photo, that was his).

This left Marissa and me to our own vices, which led to a slumber party-like bonding experience. We laughed and gossiped and realized we have a lot more in common than previously assumed.

Breakfast food is bonding food; it is the comfort of food that is common among Americans that ties us together. Now that I have digressed into cheesy I will leave you with L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Verve editor Liz Sunshine can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

Recipes:

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

cooking spray

Beat eggs and vanilla. Dunk slices of bread in the egg mixture until soaked through. Place bread on griddle heated to about medium-high for about two minutes on each side or until brown. Serve with butter and syrup and enjoy.

Homemade Pancakes

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 egg (optional)

cooking spray

Combine all ingredients until smooth. Pour about one-fourth cup on a greased griddle heated to medium-high heat. Flip when bubbles form on the top. Let cook on other side for about two minutes or until brown. Serve with butter and syrup or jelly and enjoy.