Editor in Chief chosen

Authors: Emily Polak

J. David McSwane has been offered and has accepted the position of 2007-08 Collegian editor in chief on Tuesday night.

“Dave is fully committed to the students- our readers,” said Brandon Lowrey, the current editor in chief. “I believe Dave is far wiser than his 19 years.”

McSwane, a sophomore technical journalism major who is currently the campus paper’s associate news managing editor, was anxious to be a part of the Collegian when he was still in high school.

Vimal Patel, Collegian managing editor, said he’s happy to see the paper in youthful hands.

“It is great to finally have an editor in chief who can’t drink legally,” he said.

McSwane said he wants to improve the learning aspect of the Collegian for aspiring journalists and is also planning to create a program in which members of the Collegian and other Colorado papers will help establish journalism programs in low income and minority areas.

“We need to invest in the future,” McSwane said.

The race for editor in chief – the winner is determined by the Board of Student Communications – was a tough one this year.

“The candidates this year were unbelievably strong, courageous and bright,” Lowrey said. “Throughout the process I knew that whichever way the chips fell our readers would win.”

McSwane started as a reporter for the Collegian last year and became city editor last semester. He also works as an investigative producer for CBS 4 and has worked for Westword magazine in Denver.

“His resume and professional experience as a journalist surpasses the accomplishments of his predecessors in this stage of their careers,” said Jeff Browne, director of Student Media.

McSwane won the George Foster Peabody award for his work, during high school, exposing improprieties in U.S. Army recruiting.

The Collegian won 11 Society of Professional Journalists awards this year, and staffers are hopeful at the success of next year.

“I think the Collegian has seen a phenomenal improvement in news content this year,” Patel said, “and I think Dave will continue that trend.”

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com.