Authors: Sean Rose U. Kentucky Kentucky Kernel

(U-WIRE) LEXINGTON, Ky. – Everyone hits the point where they’d really rather hibernate for a few weeks or months than wade through all crap that comes with day-to-day life.

For me, the time to gorge myself on frozen food and crawl into a cave to wait for summer is now.

Time has always seemed to speed by faster and faster with each semester, but combine that with a heavy dose of midterms and the semester grinds into fifth gear. You’re behind in work already and now the only way to catch up is to bite your bottom lip and trudge through. It’s a slow path of catching up.

The relationship between time and college students never fully makes sense, like a couple that only kisses on the cheek. No matter how long the longest of days lasts, between tests and papers and jobs, it still passes fast enough for you to wonder how it can only be a little more than a week until Spring Break. And most of the time, after getting over the initial shock of the close proximity of the end of the semester, you wish it would just end tomorrow.

And that’s the worst part, right? As clich/ and tired as it is, there’s only so much time in anyone’s life and such a small fraction of that is spent on college – the best years we’ll have, according to many.

So what does it mean when, in effect, we’re collectively wishing away some of the greatest days we’ll see?

It’s like when you plan an efficient Saturday. You’ll run errands, you tell yourself, catch up on personal reading instead of reading for class, call your mom; but instead you roll off your bed or your friend’s couch at 4 p.m. with three hours of sunlight left.

It’s not the most tragic of occurrences, but still, there goes a day you won’t get back. And what’s worse – and true for me – the implications of said day are further reaching. People become night crawlers, hiding from sunlight except when class calls, finding they’re most efficient at night when they should be sleeping. Without careful self-control, there could be no end.

I remember it started for me my junior year of high school. I started staying up later and later. My parking spot was far from the entrance of my school and I started arriving consistently late. What started as a minute each day turned into a half-hour. I think my record was two-and-a-half weeks straight of being a half an hour late. The trend continues today, although I have made some improvement.

But it adds up to a whirl of deadlines and losing time. It causes so much stress that we wish away time we’re too frustrated with to see the valuable bits lingering to the side. Even now, there’s nothing I want more than to be done with this column so I can run home, catch an unlikely shower, finish my homework for my 3 p.m. class, run back to campus, go to class, then go to work and get home hopefully by midnight to study for my midterm and hope I get enough sleep to avoid a relapse of high school tardiness.

It’s not like any of us are actually willing time away, but is there really a difference when it tears by this quickly? After the end of this speedy semester I’ll be a senior. A senior. As in, I’ll be graduating in May. What the hell do I do then? Current seniors, you have my sympathy.

I wish I could sit here and recount further exploits from high school and past semesters but, unfortunately, the schedule doesn’t comply. I’ll have to make a little me-time later to remind myself why I enjoy being a student, probably sometime after 4 a.m.

Sean Rose is a journalism junior. E-mail opinions@kykernel.com.