Why don’t baseball players wear sandals instead of cleats? Because cleats make them run faster, grip better and perform better all around. So why do we act so surprised when athletes take steroids to enhance their performance?

It seems that more and more these days athletes are being busted for these drugs. Recently, authorities in Florida shut down an online distribution network linked to Los Angeles Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. and former baseball player Jose Canseco.

But what’s the big deal? Shouldn’t athletes be allowed to make themselves better at what they do for a living? This is America, after all.

But the bottom line is: Steroids ruin sport.

We could give you a heart-warming “But what about the kids?” speech here, but we won’t.

We could tell you that steroid use leads to heart and nervous system failure, but we won’t.

We could tell you that professional athletes sign contracts that forbid them from steroid use, but we won’t go into that either.

In 1998, everyone was in awe of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa’s home run race. However, after months of steroid scandal, the race is more known for its controversy than its feat.

The joy of sport comes from competition between people who are the best at what they do. When steroids come into the equation, sport is no longer a competition of men but a competition of medicine.