Authors: Sean Star

Fans tired of watching CSU lose to Mountain West Conference foes have the chance to play an active role in leading the Rams to victory today.

Students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends are encouraged to donate blood outside the Lory Student Center Theatre and Moby Arena from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. to help CSU win the second annual Rebuilding Lives Blood Drive Challenge.

The Rams are competing with the eight other MWC teams for the right to be awarded champion during the men’s and women’s basketball conference championships in Las Vegas, March 6-10.

Drop-ins are welcome upon filling out paperwork at either the Wellness Zone in the LSC or the Moby Arena Team Room.

“The MWC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee decided to start the blood drive because they wanted to do something good for the community,” said CSU Associate Athletic Director Marsha Smeltzer.

The Northern Colorado Medical Center will be taking blood with students from Association of Student Activity Programming and the Student Health Advisory Council outside the LSC.

Members of SAAC will be working with Garth Englund Blood Donor Center taking blood on the south side of Moby.

All blood will be donated to non-profit blood centers in Fort Collins or Greeley, unlike to the drive hosted by Bonfils Blood Center earlier this year on the CSU campus, according to Smelzter.

Air Force won the challenge last year, while CSU finished with 15 percent of the total donated blood with 134 donations.

“I know this year we’re hoping for a lot more (donations),” said junior natural resources and recreational tourism major Pete Whiting, a member of SHAC.

“We’re doing a raffle for everyone who signs up at the Wellness Zone.which is new this year,” he said.

Two $20 gift certificates, free chair massages and complimentary classes at the Student Recreation Center are among some of the prizes that will be given to participants.

Pre-registration for the event was available during CSU men’s and women’s basketball games.

CSU is the last MWC institution to hold its blood drive.

Staff writer Sean Star can be reached at news@collegian.com.

……………………………………..

What: Rebuilding Live Blood Drive Challenge

Where: Outside the Lory Student Center Theatre and on the south side of Moby Arena

When: Today from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.

How: Drop-ins can register at the Wellness Zone inside the LSC or at the Moby Arena Team Room