Authors: Nikki Cristello

Students and community members played board games, made cards for kids and playfully pounded each other with inflatable jousting sticks on Saturday night as part of a Greek Life-sponsored charity event.

Up ’til Dawn held its grand finale Saturday night in the Moby Intramural Gym following the Ram victory over the Cowboys.

“After the game we had about 150 to 200 people filter in,” said Jenn Taussig, a junior marketing major and co-director for the event. “The reaction was good. People were really excited.”

The volunteer event had food donated from local restaurants and provided an alcohol free environment that included a set by Denver-based Never Surrender, a 70s and 80s cover band.

Along with a performance by the Colorado Eagles Chicks, an aerobics instructor from the Student Recreation Center taught a group of people the dance to “Stayin’ Alive.”

More than $41,000 was raised, not quite the $100,000 goal, but also double what the event raised last year.

Two $500 scholarships were donated by John Lincoln and the President’s office and given away in a drawing.

Danielle Marie Franklin, a senior psychology and public relations double major, received one of them.

“I’m really excited but I also feel guilty,” said Franklin, who is also a copy editor at the Collegian. “I was there to support Up ’til Dawn and the money we raised to help the children, who need it more than I do. It was unexpected and definitely a Catch-22”

Kara Hill, a junior journalism major and the event coordinator for Up ’til Dawn said she thought the process went very well.

“By having a successful finale we’re hoping the event will be bigger next year,” she said. “We want to raise more money for the kids. After all, that’s what it’s all about.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.