Authors: Brandon Owens

Athletic teams are defined by how they overcome adversity, and the Colorado Eagles will be defined by how they come back from a disastrous weekend that saw them lose back-to-back games for the second time in two weeks.

The Colorado Eagles were swept in their weekend series against the Arizona Sundogs.

The Sundogs (26-24-1) edged the Eagles (37-14) by the final score of 4-3 on Saturday night in Arizona. Trailing the whole game, Colorado made it close in the third period when they began to launch a comeback.

Left wing Seth Leonard scored on a five-on-three power play with a little over four minutes left in the third period. Right wing Scott Polaski scored the third and final goal for the Eagles with only seven seconds left in the game.

They just didn’t have enough, however, as Colorado played the game with only 11 skaters.

The loss was preceded by a 3-2 loss on Friday night, also at the hand of the Sundogs in Arizona.

Saturday’s game was very similar to its earlier predecessor as the Eagles trailed for a majority of the game. In the last minute of the game, Colorado pulled their goaltender in order to have an extra attacker. In the closing seconds, the Eagles scored, but it was ruled that the game clock had already ran out.

The Sundogs scored first on a Brent Kelly goal with about three minutes left the first period.

Then early in the second period, Leonard scored a shorthanded goal for Colorado to tie the game 1-1. The goal broke the 13-year-old CHL record for shorthanded goals by a team in a season.

Arizona went on to score two more goals in the second period. Eagle’s left wing Ryan Tobler scored the final goal of the night with about three minutes left in the period.

The home team has won every game in the season series, which Colorado still leads 4-3. The eight and final game of the series will be played in Arizona on the last day of the regular season.

The Eagles will be on the road for one more game on Tuesday against the Wichita Thunder.

Eagles beat writer Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.