Authors: Amanda Schank

CSU’s women’s swimming and diving team competed in its final meet Saturday at the Mountain West Conference championships in Oklahoma City. The Rams secured a fifth place finish in the meet’s last event, edging out TCU by only 12 points.

After holding a steady fifth for the first three days, the Rams dropped to sixth on Saturday, replaced by TCU. With only three events remaining, it came down to the championship’s final event, the 400 freestyle relay.

The relay was swum by senior Brette Winegarner, junior Tara Staley and freshmen Gisella Cianci and Jen Muniz. CSU and Wyoming tied for fourth with a time of 3:30.69, trailed by TCU, thus securing CSU’s spot in the top five.

BYU took the women’s conference title with 747 points followed by Utah (618), UNLV (527) and Wyoming (480) followed. CSU tallied 406 points overall.

The final results nearly reflect the conference standings prior to the meet, as CSU was seeded fifth (4-4) behind Utah, BYU, Wyoming and UNLV, respectively.

With its finish, the Rams bested last year’s conference performance when they placed sixth. Highlights of the meet included Winegarner’s backstroke events, as she garnered a third and a fifth in the 100- and 200-yard backstrokes, respectively. Her 100 backstroke time of 56.34 fell just short of the NCAA’s A-standard qualifying time of 54.47.

Muniz placed fifth in the 400 individual medley with a time of 4:28.51, besting her preliminary eighth place finish. She also placed sixth in the 200 butterfly to out touch teammate and fellow freshman Nora Kennedy who placed seventh.

Other top eight finishers included junior Elyse Hall and freshman Nicole Kelley in the diving events, sophomore Annsley Lujan in the 200 breaststroke, freshman Kathleen McCleary in the 500 freestyle, and Kennedy in the 100 butterfly.

Swimming and diving reporter Amanda Schank can be reached at sports@collegian.com.