FEBRUARY 26TH

MIRRORLESS MONDAY

Fight the urge to look in a mirror all day: You don’t need it to see what’s on the inside.

Women with Wings: A special CSU session

7 to 9 p.m. LSC RM 228

Lorri Acott-Fowler, local artist and visionary, will facilitate a workshop that will focus on positive body image. Participants are encouraged to bring at least one item that connects them to a positive memory about their body. The items will be pressed into clay to create a sculpture. The sculpture will be presented at “Women at Noon” on Wednesday and then will be installed in a public location in Northern Colorado. This event is free and will be limited to 40 participants. For more information or to register: www.womenwithwings.citymax.com

FEBRUARY 27

TRADE OFF TUESDAY

Anytime that you would usually make a comment to someone, good or bad, about their body shape or size, don’t. Trade that comment for a positive compliment about their character or personality.

Wellness Zone

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“What I Love About Me”

Come and celebrate yourself for the unique, amazing person that you are!! Participants will have a picture taken and will write a statement about what they love about themselves. The pictures will be used to create a display. The display will travel throughout the week to all of the events!! Healthy snacks, positive affirmations, and information about healthy eating and body image will be available. This program is sponsored by Greek Life, Active Minds, and Outreach and Prevention Programs.

Wellness Zone

Noon to 1 p.m.

“Intuitive Eating”

Intuitive eating is an approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body – where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. You will learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, and gain a sense of body wisdom. It’s also a process of making peace with food – so that you no longer have constant “food worry” thoughts.

Facilitated by Heidi Bemowski, M.S., University Counseling Center

FEBRUARY 28

Weigh your Self Wednesday

Don’t weigh your body today, but weigh your self instead. Take a few minutes to evaluate how balanced your life is . your diet, your exercise, your stress. Remember to balance your life, not restrict it.

Women at Noon

Noon to 1 p.m. LSC RM 228

Finding Our Voices: Healing through Creativity

Women who are dealing with eating disorders often push down their own voices, or try to gain control of their own voices in unhealthy ways. Lori Alcott-Fowler, a high school arts teacher and artist who has found her voice in sculpting, will share with us the process of her journey. She will help us apply these ideas to ourselves, to either begin or continue the process of finding and expressing our own voices in our own ways. She will also present the bronzed sculpture created in the Monday night workshop.

Wellness Zone

4 to 5 p.m.

How to Exercise Effectively: Are you doing what’s best for your health and weight goals?

What exactly is “effective exercise”?… Magazines post 20-minute workouts, yet plaster the pages with thin, gangly bodies. Articles note 60-minute exercise routines, yet actresses are training 4-6 hours per day! Is this an expectation for health and beauty? Empower yourself, ease your mind, and boost your self esteem by learning what’s real and what’s not.

Facilitated by Tamar Cline, Campus Recreation

Clark C144

7 to 9 p.m.

“Slim Hopes” film and discussion

Jean Kilbourne’s award-winning video offers an in-depth analysis of how female bodies are depicted in advertising images and the devastating effects of those images on women’s health. Addressing the relationship between these images and the obsession of girls and women with dieting and thinness, Slim Hopes offers a new way to think about life-threatening eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia, and a well-documented critical perspective on the social impact of advertising. Discussion to follow.

MARCH 1

Thrifty THURSDAY

Have clothes in your closet that don’t fit right? Donate them!! Change your jeans, not your genes.

Wellness Zone

11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“What I Love About Me”

Come and celebrate yourself for the unique, amazing person that you are!! Participants will have a picture taken and will write a statement about what they love about themselves. The pictures will then be displayed. Healthy snacks, positive affirmations, and information about healthy eating and body image will be available. This program is sponsored by Greek Life, Active Minds, and Outreach and Prevention Programs.

Wellness Zone

4 to 5 p.m.

“Nutrition for the Mind, Body, and Soul”

You may know how to eat well to fuel your body, but do you know how to fuel your soul? Following restrictive diets often result in irritability, deprivation, and sadness. In this seminar, you will learn how to enjoy food, satisfy cravings, and make peace with food. Facilitated by University Counseling Center.

LSC RM 228

7 to 9 p.m.

“Dealing With Disordered Eating”

This discussion will feature panelists in all different stages of recovery. Come and hear their personal stories of struggle and triumph. There will also be information on how to talk to a friend who may be dealing with disordered eating.

MARCH 2

Fearless FRIDAY

Take a day off from dieting. Throw away your scale and measure your self-esteem in other ways (i.e., how helpful you can be to others, the number of positive qualities you can list about yourself, etc.)

Natural Resources RM 115

Noon to 1 p.m.

“Gay Male Body Image”

This presentation with be highly interactive as it helps participants explore the ways in which thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are influenced by societal expectations for gay men’s bodies. We will also examine signs and symptoms of unhealthy behaviors and take steps toward a positive body image.