Authors: Erin Aggler

BOULDER – The beating of a 21-year-old woman may have been a hate crime because the victim told her assailant she was lesbian and rejected his sexual advances, police said.

The woman, whose name was not released, was punched and kicked in the head at about 3 a.m. Wednesday. She was treated at a hospital and later released.

Blake Weber of Boulder Pride, which advocates for gay, lesbian and transgendered people, described the woman’s injuries as “horrific” but declined to give details. She said members of her group had spent time with the victim after the attack.

Police said the woman, a student at Naropa University in Boulder, had met her assailant and another man late Tuesday or early Wednesday outside a bar on the Pearl Street pedestrian mall downtown.

After they told her they were from California and had no place to stay, she offered to let them sleep on couches at her home, police said. The attack occurred while they were walking there, police said.

She told officers the attacker’s companion told him to stop but didn’t intervene, police said.

Police Cmdr. Greg Testa said the woman called police from her cell phone but was disoriented and unsure of where she was. Investigators found her by using the global positioning system in her phone.

Police said they have no suspects.