Authors: Matthew Pucak

It will be quite the scene Saturday in Moby Arena. It is Senior Night for three Rams. It will also be Xavier Kilby afro night, with free wigs for the first 400 students into the game. And from the North, the Wyoming Cowboys and their throng of fans will be invading Moby Arena for the latest edition of the Boarder War basketball game at 7 p.m. Saturday night.

Wyoming won the last contest 75-70 in Laramie with 25 points by guard Brad Jones and 17 points by his fellow backcourt mate Brandon Ewing. Jones and Ewing represent one of the top guard combinations in the country, combining to average 37.4 points per game, with Ewing at 19.8 ppg, and Jones at 17.4 ppg.

The Border War is always an intense match-up, and Saturday night should be no exception.

In the last meeting between the two teams, the game nearly escalated into a fight, when midway through the second half, Ram Cory Lewis and Joseph Taylor of Wyoming got tied up and nearly exchanged blows, before they were separated. Officials reviewed the play to see if Lewis had thrown a punch, but ruled none was thrown, only a double-technical was called.

The game, which is more about bragging rights regardless of record, could be important to the standings.

Wyoming (15-12, 6-7 Mountain West Conference) has three conference games remaining and is currently in fifth place in the MWC. The Rams (15-11, 5-9 in MWC) sit in sixth place in the MWC, and they have only one conference game at UNLV remaining.

If the Rams can defeat the Cowboys, and the Cowboys lose down the stretch in their remaining games, it is possible for the Rams to jump them, which would likely mean avoiding UNLV or Air Force in the first round of the MWC Tournament.

Saturday night will also likely be the swan song at Moby Arena for three senior Rams, guard Cory Lewis, forward Freddy Robinson, and walk-on Mark Collins.

Due to travel back from their Wednesday night loss at Brigham Young, Ram’s coaches and players were unavailable for comment.

Matthew Pucak is a basketball beat writer for the Collegian and can be reached at sports@collegian.com.