LTTE: Urge them to serve

Authors: Joe Stern

On Wednesday, Doug Falconi, a senior fishery biology major, had his letter published in the Collegian. It stated, in part: “What is wrong with wanting victory.I’ve already buried a cousin and two friends. I’m tired of war.” He was deferential toward our military commanders as to their wishes for more troops.

Five-star general Douglas MacArthur, commanding general, U.S. Forces, Far East, World War II, said, “I know war as few other men now living know it and nothing to me is more revolting. I have long advocated its complete abolition, as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a method of settling international disputes.”

Molly Ivins, the noted author and columnist, died on Jan. 31, at age 62, of cancer. The last paragraph of her last column stated, “We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous. Make our troops know we’re for them and trying to get them out of there.”

Our national legislators, who support sending more troops to Iraq, should urge one or more of their offspring to serve in Iraq – led by President Bush’s twin daughters, age 25, in the front lines. If our Washington politicians refuse to urge their offspring to serve, I must regretfully conclude that they are cowards or hypocrites, or both.

Joe Stern

Fort Collins resident