Authors: Nikki Cristello

Up ‘Til Dawn, a fundraiser for St. Jude’s Research Hospital, is having its grand finale Saturday night.

The finale is scheduled to run from 7 to 11:30 p.m. and it has the disco theme “Stayin’ Alive.”

The event, held in the Moby Intramural Gym, will celebrate the all-campus, all-Greek fundraising event. Never Surrender will perform along with a magician, free food and games will be available and two $500 scholarships will be given away. A hospital patient will also speak. It is a free event open to the public.

“I am excited to have this huge event on campus,” said Joseph Thompson, a junior real estate finance major. “It has been hard trying to get the name out there, reinstated. We set a very high goal ($100,000), and although we didn’t meet that, we doubled what we raised last year.”

The fundraiser of writing letters is “easy and effective,” according to Jenn Taussig, a junior marketing major and co-director of Up ‘Til Dawn. She also works in the advertising section of the Collegian.

The fundraiser doubled its numbers from last year – both in participants and money raised.

About 250 individuals broke into teams of six to send out a total of 12,000 letters. Kara Hill, a junior technical journalism major, visited the hospital last year.

“My favorite part was seeing the patients,” Hill said. “Its great to see that we aren’t raising this money in vain; it really is making a difference.”

The hospital, which was established in 1963, specializes in cancer research. St. Jude’s costs about $1 million each day to run and is credited with producing the avian influenza vaccine.

The research at St. Jude’s is public, not private. With various celebrity endorsers, the hospital has become better known for its policy of never turning a child away.

CSU has been participating in this nation-wide fundraiser for eight years.

The actual total raised will be announced Saturday.

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.