Authors: Jessi Stafford

CSU is celebrating 700 dog years of achievements in the colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences this month – that’s 100 in human years.

“One-hundred years is a real milestone,” said Peter Hellyer, associate dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine. “It demonstrates a long tradition of veterinarian medicine and is a nice opportunity for us to celebrate.”

The College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, CVMBS, began in 1907 and many things have changed since the first graduating class of 27 young men dissected their first horse without gloves or masks.

“We’ve made huge progresses since 1907. Stainless steel wasn’t even invented when the program started,” said Amanda Douglass, a 100-Year Anniversary planning assistant.

In 1907, the college fought tuberculosis, researching ways to improve the quality of milk and introduced the first ever full-fledged veterinary program.

Also in 1907, the student body was entirely male. Today, over 75 percent of the CVMBS students are female.

“A lot of the progress has to do with research in medical issues that face animals but translate to humans,” Douglass said. “We’ve done so much in the past years, imagine the possibilities for the future.”

For the people who have been involved in the CVMBS, helping make the college what it is today, this anniversary is a fulfilling one.

“I am proud that my university has been around for so long,” said Clarence Sitzman, a CVMBS alumni and practicing veterinarian. “The CSU vet school is a world light.”

Sitzman has been to other countries and found that CSU is known around the world as a leader in veterinary medicine and biomedical sciences. And, according to Sitzman, this does wonders for the veterinary discipline in Fort Collins.

“There are a lot of good private vet clinics in Colorado because of CSU,” he said. “It’s pretty amazing that Fort Collins itself has such great facilities.”

Along with pride for the past and the present, some people have set high hopes for the future.

“I would like to see us continue with our success,” Hellyer said. “I would like to continue to be known as a strong research university, as a university that benefits animals, humans and the planet.”

As a way of celebrating this landmark, CSU is sponsoring a number of events in upcoming months. One event will be an open house at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital March 30 and 31. The open house will include live exhibits and hands-on activities for kids.

“The live exhibits will show the school’s changes, successes and progress over that last 100 years,” Douglass said.

For Hellyer, this month serves as a reminder that the grass on the other side of the fence isn’t always greener.

“We tend to not always appreciate what is in our own backyard,” Hellyer says. “This is a good opportunity to recognize that people can come to CSU for an excellent education.”

Staff writer Jessie Stafford can be reached at news@collegian.com.

…………………………………….

DEANS of the last 100 years:

Dr. Glover 1907-1934

Dr. I.E. Newsom 1934-1948

Dr. Floyd Cross 1948-1956

Dr. Rue Jensen 1957-1966

Dr. Nicholas H. Booth 1966-1971

Dr. William J. Tietz 1971-1977

Dr. Robert D. Phemister 1977-1985

Dr. John Venable, Interim Dean, 1983-1984

Dr. Gordon Niswender, Interim Dean, 1985-1986

Dr. James L. Voss 1986-2001

Dr. Lance E. Perryman 2001-present