COLORADO SPRINGS – The Colorado man who pleaded guilty to leaking secret grand jury transcripts in a federal steroids probe has resigned as commissioner of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

The Colorado Springs-based PRCA announced in a news release Tuesday that Troy Ellerman submitted his letter of resignation Monday.

In court papers filed Thursday, Ellerman acknowledged that he had allowed two newspaper reporters to look at transcripts of grand jury testimony from baseball stars Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, and sprinter Tim Montgomery.

“Due to the fact that I have entered a plea of guilty in the BALCO case, I believe it is in the best interest of the PRCA to resign from my position as commissioner,” Ellerman said in a news release. “It has been an honor to serve the PRCA. The PRCA is well served by a strong Board of Directors, and I am confident it will continue to move forward under its direction.”

Ellerman was said to be the lawyer for founders of the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative, the operation at the center of the steroids scandal that rocked the professional sports world.

Under his plea agreement, Ellerman faces up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he’s sentenced June 14 on a charge of obstruction of justice. U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White, who is not bound by the agreement, said he could impose as much as a 15-year prison term.

In a statement, PRCA Chairman of the Board Keith Martin said the board appreciated Ellerman’s service and credited him for helping the organization through a successful financial turnaround.

The PRCA has appointed Martin as interim chief executive officer.