Sophomore pitcher Kim Klabough pitched a complete game shutout Saturday as the Rams upset No. 11 ranked California, 2-0, at the Desert Classic in Las Vegas, Nev.

The only runs of the game were scored in the top of the sixth inning when freshman right fielder Sarah Sullivan hit a two-out, two-run single. Designated hitter Jessica Strickland and left fielder Brittany Huerta scored on the play, which were all the runs Klabough would need to hold off the Golden Bears.

Klabough had more strikeouts (four) than hits allowed (three), and allowed Pac-Ten player of year candidate Alex Sutton zero hits with a strikeout.

The upset victory was the bright spot in the tournament with the Rams finishing the weekend with only that one victory in five games. CSU started the weekend Friday with a pair of losses to No. 9 UCLA (10-2) and Hawaii (9-5). Freshman shortstop Robyn Mask continued her hot start to the season with her fifth home run of the season.

After the Rams win over Cal on Saturday morning, the team returned to the field in the afternoon, only to be knocked off by Central Florida (1-0). Sunday was no better for CSU as they lost their fourth game of the weekend, a 7-3 decision to UC-Davis.

The softball team (4-7) returns to action on Friday as the team travels to Fayetteville, Ark. to compete in the Razorback Invitational against teams such as host Arkansas, Missouri, and Wichita State.

Tennis

With two-time all-conference senior Emily Kirchem unable to travel with an ear infection and sophomore Lauren Strasburger and Kirsten Stople out with the flu, Texas Tech made quick work of CSU Sunday, winning all eight matches played between the two teams.

The Red Raiders, who are ranked No. 51 in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, were coming off a loss to Colorado Saturday and dominated the undermanned Rams in Lubbock, Texas. Junior transfer Hilary Tyler won CSU’s only set when she took the first set in her No. 2 singles match. Tyler ended up losing the match to Lakann Wagley, 6-2, 4-6, 5-7.

The Rams were meant to start the weekend in Lubbock against the Texas Southern Tigers, however TSU was suspended from play by their school for undisclosed reasons.

CSU (1-3) will not return to the courts until March 3 when it hosts the Denver Pioneers at home.

Championships

Both the indoor track and swimming and diving teams had the weekend off to prepare for the Mountain West Championships being held this week.

The track team will head to Albuquerque, N.M., for the Championships, which will be held Thursday through Saturday. The women’s team will be looking to repeat as champion, while the men’s team looks to better their second place finish from last year.

Meanwhile, the swimmers finished the regular season fifth in the nine-team conference and will look to better that mark in the four day event which starts Wednesday in Oklahoma City, Okla.