A tale of two nights

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

It was a tale of two completely opposite performances as the Colorado Eagles won and lost a game over the weekend.

On Saturday, the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (31-12-5) lit up the Eagles (36-12), Colorado’s second loss to the team in four days. Eagles center Chris Hartsburg scored a third period goal, but it wasn’t enough as Mudbugs prevailed 9-5.

Left wing Cam Abbott scored four goals and right wing Chris Brassard added a hat trick of his own to lead Bossier-Shreveport to their ninth victory in their last 10 games.

Colorado goalie Tim Boron struggled, being replaced by Paulo Colaiacovo in the third period after giving up his eighth goal of the night.

The nine Mudbug goals ranks as the most the Eagles have ever given up in a single game.

Eagles center Riley Nelson felt the loss gave the team perspective.

“We definitely have lots to work on,” Nelson said. “We didn’t show all that we had to offer and didn’t give our best effort tonight.”

Eagles Head Coach Chris Stewart takes the loss as a sign of things to work on.

“It is certainly a wake up call for our goaltenders more than anything else,” Stewart said. “We can’t have that poor of goaltending, that’s all there is to it.”

Colorado played a reverse role Friday night as they hosted the division rival Oklahoma City Blazers. The Eagles offense led the team to victory as five different players reached the Blazers’ net. Colorado sealed a win in the third scoring three goals and cruising to an 8-4 win.

Nelson, Hartsburg and left wing Ryan Tobler headed the offensive attack, all supplying two goals each. Left wing Seth Leonard and defenseman Fraser Flipic also had goals.

Hartsburg was pleased with the offense’s performance.

“We were worked hard to get to the net to get shots through and attack the goaltender,” Hartsburg said. “It started right away in the first and we just carried it into the third.”

With the win, the Eagles are even with the Blazers on the season at two games apiece, also extending their division lead to 18 points.

Colorado will try to get back on track when they host the Tulsa Oilers Wednesday night. The Eagles have had success against the Oilers, winning their two previous meetings this season by a combined score of 9-2.

Stewart feels getting players back from injury will go a long way to help his team.

“Our biggest thing is getting back to a healthy team,” Stewart said.

Over the last eight games, the Eagles have played with a maximum of a 13-player bench. During these games Colorado has a record of 5-3.

“We are fighting an up hill battle right now,” Stewart said. “It is certainly not an excuse, but it is a fact when you have this short of a line up.”

Eagles beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.