Authors: Mary Swanson

At the third annual Women’s Conference on Saturday, speakers are set to address cultural attitudes toward women and female identities.

“Our goal is to gather CSU women from across campus and dialogue about what it means to be a woman at CSU,” said Josyln McGriff, a student affairs higher education graduate student and member of the planning committee.

The theme for this year’s conference is Reflecting Her Story to Illuminate Our Future. The keynote speaker for the conference is Lisa Calder/n of the National INCITE Women of Color Against Violence collective. She will speak on “Making Feminism Relevant to the Hip Hop Generation: Race, Gender, and Revolution.”

In addition to the address, the conference will feature a panel of CSU Women’s Programs and Studies graduates, and 24 “break-out” sessions, where women will choose to participate in hour-long seminars in a variety of themes ranging from yoga to communication.

A volunteer planning committee comprised of CSU students and alumni has worked since October to make this conference a reality.

McGriff, who will also be presenting on the topic of female hidden aggression, stated that this year the planning committee hopes that a diverse set of students, both male and female, as well as faculty members to participate.

Other members of the committee look forward to the resources that will be available at the conference.

“I am most excited to hear the panel of CSU alumni. It will be great to hear these women share their stories and successes with the rest of us,” said Sarah Watson, a sophomore natural resources recreation tourism major who was a member of the conference’s planning committee.

Regardless of interest or background, WPS and SCLE hope that Saturday’s conference will be a beneficial experience for all participants.

The Women’s Conference is co-sponsored by Women’s Programs and Studies and Student Leadership and Civic Engagement .

Look for the full story in Monday’s Collegian.

Staff writer Mary Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com.