Authors: Stephanie Gerlach

Organizers are calling for energetic souls to flip, spin and twirl the night away at the Battle of the Bands and Swing Dance event Friday night.

The Swing Dance Society at CSU is co-sponsoring the event with the Rhythm Company, a local dance entertainment business. Jiving starts at 7 p.m. in the main ballroom of the LSC.

Melissa Mullins, the society’s president, said the event will also feature two local bands – something the group has not done in over four years. Typically the group sponsors an event every semester with one band each, but the battle session idea boasts two bands to get more people involved.

“We decided to try an event like this again and hopefully keep that tradition going,” Mullins said. “Everyone is really excited about it.”

People of all ages and dancing abilities can participate in the occasion. There will be lessons for beginners as well as people with advanced skills. Mullins said even if people don’t want to dance, they can just come to listen to the music.

“We want to make it bigger to attract more students and we hope it brings in outside community members as well,” she said.

Both bands, the Swingin’ Seven and Jumpin’ Danny and the Swing Train, will play an hour set starting at 8 p.m. At 10 p.m., the bands will alternate after every song and end the night with a jam battle session.

Neither band has performed on campus before and Chris Boyer, the bass player for the Swingin’ Seven, said they are really looking forward to it.

“We found a niche we really enjoy: playing for dancers,” Boyer said. “We really enjoy playing for people who enjoy our music.”

The eight-member band has been together for almost four years and they are all huge fans of swing music. They focus on the 1930s and 1940s styles of music from singer Benny Goodman.

Boyer said his group wants to support Northern Colorado swing dancing and this event allows them to share their passion with the Fort Collins community.

“We try to generate a danceable, swingable sound and we feed off of the energy of the dancers,” Boyer said.

The cost for the event is $8 per student and $10 for each non-student.

The CSU Swing Dance Society meets every Wednesday to dance, teach and learn from each other, as said by their Web site www.csuswing.org. Contact Melissa Mullins at swing@lamar.colostate.edu for more information.

Staff writer Stephanie Gerlach can be reached at news@collegian.com.

___________________________________

Highlights:

Battle of the Bands and Swing Dance

Friday, Feb. 16

Lory Student Center Main Ballroom

Lessons from 7 to 8 p.m.

Bands play 8 to 11 p.m.

$8/student and $10/non-student