Authors: Emily Lance

Precious, Puppy, Scout and Bear were some pet names given to the companions that entered the New Belgium Brewery on Wednesday.

Some were single, others weren’t. But they all spent Valentine’s Day with four-legged loved ones.

The fourth annual Valentine/s Day Chocolate fundraiser for the Larimer County Humane Society welcomed people and their dogs all day Wednesday.

Darby Remley, a senior English major, held her puppy in her lap. She came across Scout at the Dumb Friends League in Denver. The brown-and-white chiwawa, Jack Russell terrier mix, was found wandering Invesco field in Denver when he was picked up.

“He gets an attitude, but that is a bad part of Denver for him to be wandering around,” Remley said. “He is my best friend.”

Bridgett Darnall, a senior Spanish education major, came with Remley and brought along her companion, a black and brown rottwieler named Titus,.

“We are both single and what better things to do than spend Valentine/s Day with these guys,” Remley said, petting her pooch.

People who donated were allowed to participate in the Chocolatier Belvedere, in which they are given eight different kinds of beer in small tasting cups with coordinating chocolates to complement the taste.

Included in the donation people were also Breakout box suggestion

About the society

The Larimer County Humane Society is an independent, non-profit, open-door animal shelter. The group provides care, treatment and rehabilitation for more than 12,000 domestic, farm and wild animals each year.

Headline: Spending Valentine’s Day with the pooches

Subhead Humane society and brewery get together for fundraiser

By Emily Lance

Included in the donation people were also entered in the raffle for a custom New Belgium cruiser bike.

Donators with a pooch were provided a bag of handmade treats made from recycled beer grain, flour and peanut butter.

Burny Finkle, New Belgium employee, ushered people in the door with a green New Belgium visor and polka dotted dog ears hanging from the sides. .

Cary Rentola, marketing and community outreach manager for the Larimer Humane Society, has seen the success of the fundraiser in past years. New Belgium increased chocolate samplers from 350 to 500 boxes after experiencing a shortage in previous years.

“If you have something outside the box, unique and fun, it/s the way to go,” Rentola said. “We received phenomenal support from the community. A lot of people are going above and beyond the recommended donation.”

Some community members gave more than $100, leading to the predicted total income of $6,000.

“For a non-profit that is amazing,” Rentola said.

Rentola was able to gain more than money from the event. The majority of the people in attendance had previously adopted dogs from the society.

“We get to interact with the people and hear stories about the pets,” she said.

Emily Lance can be reached at news@collegian.com

———————————

Get your own web address.

Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

entered in the raffle for a custom New Belgium cruiser bike.

———————————

Get your own web address.

About the society