Authors: Emily Lance

Heaven’s blend coffee: “A medium body, lofty brightness, caramel aroma, sweet lingering, yet mild aftertaste makes this blend a little taste of heaven,” reads the label of Jackie’s Java home roasted coffee.

Heaven’s blend, Colombian Supremo, Costa Rican Tarrazu and White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle are a few of many flavors of coffee served at the new Brewed Awakening coffee cart in Rockwell hall.

Jackie Harris, CSU alumna, began her brewing business the summer before her junior year.

“I have been into coffee my whole life,” she said. “I worked at Sweet Sinsations and always wanted to own (a) coffee shop.”

Harris graduated from CSU in 2005 with a marketing degree with intentions to expand her business.

After being discouraged by peers to start a new coffee shop because of the competitive market, she turned her ideas to the wholesale production of coffee. She began home-roasting her coffee to differentiate herself from other providers.

“My parents were angry when I emptied the $6,000 in my savings to buy a coffee maker from Israel,” Jackie said. “It only roasted three pounds of coffee at a time.”

Harris would take the small amount roasted and sell it at the local farmer’s market. It was there that the owner of a coffee shop in Old Town discovered her coffee.

Pam Johannsen, dean of the College of Business, was one of those few costumers who visited the farmer’s market to purchase Harris’ coffee.

“(Johannsen) came all summer long,” Harris said.

She then attempted to sell her coffee on campus. Johannsen helped get the approval for a new coffee cart in the College of Business.

Kenneth DeVault, retail operations manager for Housing and Dining services, helped Harris get connected with CSU and establish the new cart, exclusively serving Jackie’s Java.

“We have been working on this for a couple of years,” DeVault said. “There is a good populous in the building and everybody drinks coffee.”

The Brewed Awakening cart brews Jackie’s Java fresh all day and also as serves food items such as bagels and candy.

Jackie’s Java beans are imported from all over the world, from countries like Africa, Indonesia and Columbia. A bean broker goes to farms in these countries and picks out best beans and then purchases them for Harris.

There are fair trade issues – workers in Columbia will receive 25 cents a day for work and then a cup of coffee will be sold for $1.25.

Harris will be going to Columbia next week to pick her very own coffee.

By cutting out the middleman, the farmer will be getting 50 cents more per pound of coffee.

Brewed Awakening is open 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday in Rockwell Hall.

Emily Lance can be reached at news@collegian.com.