President George W. Bush, our fearless, down-home leader, once again has no doubt.

This time, the leader of the free world says he’s absolutely sure that Iran is behind shipments of arms being used by insurgents in Iraq to kill insurgents.

Now, the editorial board of The Rocky Mountain Collegian is comprised of some of the most lucid minds this side of the Mississippi, but analyzing global intelligence is not among our talents.

Remembering the statements those in power have made and holding them accountable, however, is.

In 2003, hours before American soldiers – our brothers, sisters, children and friends – were about to invade a sovereign nation, President Bush went on TV and made another absolute statement: “Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised.”

Possibly one of the costliest lies ever.

That statement makes every other absolute statement made by Bush suspect. Why should anyone ever trust anything he has to say?

Especially about the intelligence or weapons capabilities of other governments.

We are not defending the Iranian regime, but simply pointing out the obvious: Bush is a deceitful liar willing to peddle as true that which many reasonable minds doubted, and he has no credibility.