The abortion debate can be greatly simplified by answering one question: what is being aborted? If the thing aborted is not a human being, then no justification is needed for abortion.

Get rid of it whenever and however you wish. But if the thing being aborted is a human being, then we have a very different situation. If the thing aborted is a human being, then most (if not all) reasons put forth for abortion fall flat on their face.

We wouldn’t be justified in killing a human being outside of the womb for being small, or dependent on their mother (what newborn isn’t?), or because of physical disability. We wouldn’t be justified in killing a human being outside of the womb if they reminded us of a tragic event, interfered with goals, or were a financial burden.

If the aborted is a human being, then any reason put forth for abortion must be a reason adequate enough to finish the sentence, “It is justifiable to kill this human being because.” Fill the end of that sentence with the arguments you’ve heard for abortion and see how reasonable they sound.

I am not trying to sound callous and insensitive to women who have conceived children under tragic circumstances. My point is that if the thing aborted is a human being, we must ask whether those circumstances give us just cause to kill that person.

Simplify the abortion issue by answering one question: What is being aborted?

Joshua French

graduate student

statistics