Cookie sales crumble

Authors: Valerie Hisam

They only come once a year, bearing colorful boxes that are full of sweet goodies, but as cold weather set in this year, Girl Scout cookies sales have begun to crumble.

Girl Scout girls began selling cookies door-to-door starting in early January, but this weekend will kickoff their booth sales, where the girls set up in front of grocery stores and other public places to sell their goodies until the beginning of March, including CSU on Monday.

The girls are hoping to use these direct sales to make up for the lag of sales in January, which have in part been hampered by weather.

“Obviously the weather has played a large role,” said Peggy Lewis, the product sales manager for the Mountain Prairie Council. “We’ve had so much snow, then the snow on the sidewalks turned to ice and the icy cold temperatures have really hindered the girls from getting out.”

For the Mountain Prairie Council, which covers the entire Larimer County area as well as seven other counties, door-to-door sales have seen almost a 10 percent decrease compared to last year, Lewis said.

On average, the Mountain Prairie Council’s troops bring in around $294,000 each from cookie sales, which amounts to around $3 million from the 110 local troops. But with a lag, Lewis anticipates less money coming in, which can hinder what the troops and scouts were going to do with it.

“The girls have set their goals,” Lewis said. “They will be having a problem meeting those goals, and the personal goals they had hoped to accomplish, like going to camp or taking a trip.”

Scouts earn badges through cookie sales, but also participate in community service and activities that earn them insignias of accomplishment. According to Linda Brott, the communication director for the Mountain Prairie Council, being a Girl Scout is also about developing “courage, confidence and character.”

“A lot of people don’t see what the girls aren’t doing in the public eye,” Brott said. “We are always trying to stay on the cutting edge of what to do. There is such a greater variety of activities than when I was a Girl Scout.”

National Girl Scout cookie sales bring in up to $700 million in revenue, selling an estimated 130 million to 300 million boxes a year.

“They only come once a year,” said sophomore speech communications major Carly Stasica, who stocked up on cookies this past week from her order she made in January. “They are like a treat that you just have to have.

But many people are still devoid of their cookies, and since CSU students are one of this area’s largest consumers, the Mountain Prairie Council is looking to get to the students. There are at least six troops that sell in the CSU area, so there are still a lot of cookies available, both Lewis and Brott said.

“We still know that there are a lot of people out there that didn’t get their cookies,” Brott said. “But there are still cookies out there.”

The cookie sales are not the most important thing, Brott added; it is really about what the girls take from the experience, even if they have faced some setbacks.

“It’s not about the proceeds,” Brott said. “It’s about what the girls gain from it. They are learning about budgeting and planning, goal setting, marketing, and public relation, personal skills, and responsibility. All of these are good business skills for an entrepreneur program.”

Staff writer Valerie Hisam can be reached at news@collegian.com.

________________________________________

-Through March 4, cookies will be on sale at the booth set-ups in front of supermarkets and here at CSU this Monday and Feb. 27 and 28.

-To find a set-up that is a convenient, call the Mountain Prairie Council at 491-1844, e-mail cookies@gsmpc.org or visit www.gsmpc.org.