Authors: TARYN CLARK

Police arrested the man they believe has been harassing women while in his car during the past month in the Fort Collins, Greeley, Windsor and Denver areas.

Greeley Police nabbed Richard A. Helmuth, 52, Sunday at the Sleep Inn, 3025 8th Ave. in Evans.

Authorities issued an arrest warrant for Helmuth on Thursday.

Police believe the scruffy-bearded suspect has been seen stalking women in his 2005 dark maroon Chevy Impala with Nebraska license plates 7B4575.

Authorities last Tuesday received reports from three women in Fort Collins that they were in some form possibly harassed while driving the city’s streets.

One woman stated a man followed her too closely near the 900 block of East Horsetooth Road at about 12:30 p.m. that day.

Another woman filed a report minutes later and stated a man made a U-turn to catch up with her while she was on East Harmony near McMurray Avenue and snapped pictures of her.

The third report was filed shortly before 2 p.m. It stated that a man followed the woman into her work parking lot in the 1200 block of Oak Park Drive, blocked her path and laughed before leaving.

Police say similar interactions with the suspect have occurred in the Greeley, Windsor and Denver areas.

Helmuth could face penalties of $50 to $750 and up to six months in prison.

The bond on the warrant is set at $15,000.

Helmuth was being held at the Weld County Detention Center as of Monday afternoon, according to Rita Davis, Fort Collins Police Services spokeswoman. He’s expected to be transferred to the Larimer County Detention Center.

Detailed information provided by witnesses helped police identify Helmuth, according to Al Brown, FCPS spokesman.

“We identified him primarily based on information from witnesses and victims,” Brown said.

No new reports have been filed since last Tuesday.

A photo of Helmuth won’t be released until photo lineups are finished.

Anyone with information about this case is encouraged to contact Det. Drew Jurkofsky at 416-2195.

Staff Writer Taryn Clark can be reached at news@collegian.com.