Eagles split road trip

Authors: Brandon Owens

After impressively beating in-state rival Rocky Mountain Rage on Saturday night in Broomfield, the Colorado Eagles didn’t have enough energy to defeat the Amarillo Gorillas last night.

The Eagles (35-10-0) were defeated 7-1 by the Gorillas (24-16-3) on Sunday night in Amarillo, Texas.

Center Riley Nelson had the only goal for Colorado when he scored short-handed in the last minutes of the second period. The goal tied the Central Hockey League record for short-handed goals in the season.

Prior to Nelson’s goal, the Gorillas opened the game with five straight goals, including three goals in 27 seconds during the fourth minute of the second period. Seven different players had goals for Amarillo.

Gorilla’s goalie Jamie Vandespyker was the defensive player of the game as he stopped 50 out of 51 shots by the Eagles.

On Saturday night, Colorado defeated the Rocky Mountain Rage (11-29-4) in a thriller at the Broomfield Event Center by the final score of 7-4.

In a comeback win, left wing player’s Steve Haddon and Seth Leonard added insurance goals in the final period to secure the victory.

“I think we are a tight group,” Haddon said. “We showed that we can go through adversity like that – being down and then coming back.”

Rocky Mountain began the game with two early goals in the opening five minutes of the first period. Nelson scored first for the Eagles with a goal midway through the period, but the Rage added another increasing their lead to 3-1.

Head coach Chris Stewart pulled goalie Paulo Colaiacovo immediately after the third goal was given up. Marco Emond replaced him and saved the next 28 of 29 shots on to help save Colorado to victory.

The Eagles dominated the Rage in the second period scoring four goals and holding Rocky Mountain scoreless. Frazier Filipic scored the first goal of the period and Scott Polaski tied the game at three. Then left wing Ryan Tobler scored the go-ahead goals for the Colorado as he scored two goals in a three minute span with less than seven minutes in the second period.

It was the Eagles sixth consecutive victory over the Rage, improving the season series to 9-2.

“We showed the kind of character we had and the guys pulled through,” Haddon said. “Especially with our fans here tonight, it was pretty easy.”

Colorado now comes home for a four game home-stand, which begins Wednesday night against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs.

Eagles beat writer Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.