Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The Colorado Eagles made a serious statement this week, keeping themselves in the driver’s seat of the Central Hockey League.

After defeating two of the CHL’s best teams on consecutive nights, the Eagles now take to the road for back-to-back games.

Colorado (34-9 and ranked first in the CHL) defeated the New Mexico Scorpions, who lead the Southwest Division, 4-2 Tuesday. The following night they hosted the Northeast Division-leading Memphis River Kings and beat them 5-2 in a battle of the CHL’s top two teams. The wins give Colorado a three-game winning streak and a much-needed burst of confidence.

“To get victories like this works miracles,” said Eagles defenseman Les Borsheim. “We had a lot to prove these games and we came out on top.”

The Eagles travel to Broomfield Saturday night to face off against the expansion Rocky Mountain Rage, a team they have had few struggles against this year. The two clubs have played 10 times so far this season; the Eagles lead the series 8-2.

Rocky Mountain currently owns the worst record in the CHL (11-27-4), but the Eagles still expect a tough game.

“They have played us real hard,” said Eagles Head Coach Chris Stewart. “They

have given us as good of a game as anyone in the league.”

Colorado left wing Seth Leonard knows his team cannot look past even the last-place Rage.

“We can’t take them lightly,” Leonard said. “Despite their record, they have always played really good against us. We have to come out hard and go after it right off the bat.”

Stewart feels the Rage always put in a little extra effort when they play the Eagles.

“They get highly motivated when they play against us. They wanted to emulate the Eagles so much so that they are more concerned about us than their own back yard,” Stewart said.

On Sunday, the Eagles travel to Amarillo to face the Gorillas (22-16-4). Though Colorado swept the Gorillas in a two-game series earlier this season, Amarillo has been on a hot streak of late, winning seven of their last 10 games.

Eagles beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.