A blessing in disguise

Authors: Kaitlin Snook

As the semester goes on and the first tests of the year present themselves, you can almost feel the stress and tension mounting on campus. The library is busier, the parking lots are fuller, and the health center is buzzing with people searching for an excuse to miss the upcoming exams. My classes don’t seem to get any more full, however. In fact, if anything, there are more and more empty seats every day.

So why, when we are getting so close to test time, are fewer people attending class?

It’s simple, really. Everyone shows up on the first day to pick up the syllabus and to make sure to get test times, extra credit possibilities and any other crucial information that could make or break their grades. But, mostly, people show up just to make sure the notes are online.

With more and more teachers posting notes, study guides, homework assignments and even quizzes on WebCT and Writing Studio, it’s become easier and more convenient to skip class with each passing year. The Internet is getting faster all the time, and who needs to drive all the way to campus only to spend 20 minutes finding a parking spot out in BFE when your class notes are just a click away?

Although it’s easy and much more convenient to just sleep in and simply catch up later, it’s not necessarily the best idea. As some of you may remember, in psychology we learned that it’s necessary to see something three times for it to actually stay with you. That means you should be in class to write information down in your notes, review your notes again shortly after that class period, and then review them again when you study. Reading your book and then just skimming over the notes online are very rarely enough, and some teachers even give credit for just being in class and participating.

Besides going to class and taking notes, there are other ways you can take advantage of the opportunities the CSU campus offers. All departments offer free tutoring, free seminars teaching note-taking and reading skills occur at least once every semester, and you can also visit your adviser or the advisers at the Center for Advising and Student Achievement in Aylesworth Hall or check them out on the CSU Web site.

Maybe those teachers who annoy you by not putting their notes online (trust me I’m right there with you) are actually doing you a big favor, and instead of getting mad and not going (you know, to stick it to the man) we should see it as it really is – a blessing in disguise.

Kaitlin Snook is a junior technical journalism major. Her column appears every Friday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.