Spring Movie Preview

Authors: Jeff Schwartz

Spring can be a time of rejuvenation and love and flowers and all that good stuff, but it can also be a time of movie doldrums – too late for the serious Oscar-contenders and too early for the mindless escapism of the summer blockbusters.

However, here are five promising films coming out this spring which just might help you get through what can be a very dark time for movie lovers.

The Number 23 (Feb. 23)

Starring: Jim Carrey and Virginia Madsen

This psychological thriller stars Carrey in a serious role as a man who finds a book entitled, “The Number 23,” and subsequently becomes obsessed with the number and the implications that it might hold for his life.

Wild Hogs (March 2)

Starring: John Travolta, William H. Macy, Tim Allen and Martin Lawrence

In the vein of comedies like “Old School” and “Wedding Crashers,” this comedic flick focuses on four middle-aged guys who decide to take a motorcycle road trip that will supposedly help shake up their listless suburban lives.

300 (March 9)

Starring: Gerard Butler and Dominic West

Based on the Frank Miller graphic novel, “300” is the brutally violent story of the Spartan king Leonidas and his 300 soldiers who managed to defeat more than a million invading Persians at the epic battle of Thermopylae.

Blades of Glory (March 30)

Starring: Will Ferrell and Jon Heder

Ferrell and Heder star in this comedy as rival Olympic figure skaters who, having had their respective medals stripped from them after an unsportsmanlike brawl, discover that they may be able to re-attain their former greatness by putting aside their differences entering the next Olympics in the pairs figure skating category.

Lucky You (May 4)

Starring: Eric Bana, Drew Barrymore and Robert Duvall

Bana stars in this dramedy as a poker player who’s lucky at the card tables but unlucky in love, at least until he meets a singer played by Barrymore. In addition to trying to woo Barrymore, Bana must also contend with playing against his estranged father (Duvall) in a Las Vegas poker championship.

Jeff Schwartz can be reached at verve@collegian.com. The opinions expressed in this column reflect the views of the individual author and not necessarily those of the Collegian.