Authors: Liz Sunshine

My Parmesan-Crusted Salmon recipe came to be about a year ago when the old “Sex and the City” gang still got together. If you will recall that included Aubrey (culinarily challenged), Ryan (allergic to tomatoes and chocolate) and Bailey (perfectly content with eating just rice). They are a fun crowd but by no means easy to please.

When I first made the dish I was met with upturned noses until they tasted it. Without any further discussion plates were cleaned, compliments were paid and a new recipe was added to my book.

The dish has transformed in the past year. Originally I only put the cheese on one side, there was no Italian seasoning, and I still wasn’t great at getting my fish perfectly cooked. Read: Dry on the thin ends and still mostly raw in the center.

This time around I drove straight for the market after class to find a helpful employee in the meat and seafood department. He was kind enough to take the skin off the salmon but asked for a few minutes to do so. Taking the skin off of salmon takes a sharp knife and patience, two things I rarely have on a Wednesday night.

While he took care of that I did the rest of my shopping.

I headed off to the fresh produce section for some broccoli. As I was strolling through the produce I noticed the pathetic collection of product compiled and then came across a sign that explained the shortage of fresh veggies. Turns out the freezing temperatures in California have produced smaller crops of broccoli, asparagus and a few other roughage types.

Time for plan B: Bagged crowns of broccoli. Afterwards I swung around to the rice and pasta aisle and picked up a box of couscous.

By the time I had accomplished all that my “salmon guy” was all done taking the skin off and had packaged the rosy-fleshed fish up for me.

Freshly grated parmesan is my favorite way to make this dish, but other hard cheeses would do as well; add a little Italian seasoning to the mix and dredge on both sides. Salmon takes about three minutes on each side for a standard five-ounce serving, so I place my dredged fish in a hot pan with oil covering the bottom and left it alone other than to flip it once.

Since you don’t have to mess with the fish while it is cooking that leaves ample time to steam some fresh broccoli and follow the instructions on the box for the couscous. Also just as a point of interest, many brands of bagged broccoli now come with instructions on how to steam the contents in the original container.

I invited Jeremy and Brandon, both Collegian buddies, to come over and watch the Food Network and enjoy a good meal. Once again plates were cleaned and another successful dinner was complete.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (To Life and Eat Well).

Recipe:

Parmesan-Crusted Salmon

4 five-ounce salmon fillets

2-3 cups shredded parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Oil

Cover bottom of a pan with oil and heat to medium. Combine parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning on a plate. Dredge fillets in the cheese mixture and place in your hot pan. Cook for three minutes on each side. Serve with broccoli and couscous and enjoy!

Staff writer Liz Sunshine can be reached at verve@collegian.com.