Authors: Hallie Woods

J.K. Rowling, author of the ever-famous Harry Potter book series, has announced the date of release for the final Harry Potter book for July 21. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” is the last book in a seven-book series about a young magician and his life growing up in a magical world.

“I always knew that Harry’s story would end with the seventh book,” wrote J.K. Rowling on her official Web site. “But saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be.”

Rowling has announced that two of her characters will be killed off in book seven, keeping up with the tradition of characters dying since book four, “Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire.”

Although the set release date isn’t for more than five months, bookstores across the nation are allowing people to pre-order it.

“You can pre-order the book. but it has to get closer to the actual date to know the price,” said Jill Knox, manager of Barnes and Noble, 4045 S. College Ave.

Knox also added that Barnes and Noble holds a midnight party on the eve of the Harry Potter book release in anticipation of the clock striking midnight and the new book becoming available for purchase.

“We hold games for adults and children while we wait for the book to go on sale,” Knox said.

Other online stores such as Amazon.com are also allowing for the pre-ordering of the new book.

Although many have been awaiting the last Harry Potter book, some are sad to see the adventures of Harry end.

“Some of you have expressed a mixture of happiness and sadness at the prospect of the last book being published, and that has meant more than I can tell you,” Rowling wrote. “I think that there will be plenty to continue arguing and speculating about, even after ‘Deathly Hallows’ comes out.”

Verve Editor Hallie Woods can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

_______________________________________

Reserve the book:

Barnesandnoble.com: $20.99

Amazon.com: $18.99

Walmart.com: $17.87