$25 or less: LSC Version

Authors: Mike Donovan

Every month, in this very column, Verve Editor Hallie Woods takes you, the reader, on a tour of three Fort Collins restaurants all for less than $25. However, this month, Hallie has decided to let me take over this space and talk about something near and dear to my heart: Eating at the Lory Student Center. As an editor at the Collegian, it seems I spend almost all of my life in the LSC, so I have decided to write a food review of some of the more underrated meals and food joints.

Breakfast

The choices for breakfast at the LSC are few and far between. However, this is not a problem because there are two places on campus that make waking up for an 8 a.m. class tolerable. Sweet Sinsations’ strawberry smoothie ($4.50) makes for a great refresher in the morning on the way to lecture – however, I am not a drink-for-breakfast type of guy. I prefer something with a little meat and a little cheese. So instead, I hit the Bagel Place.

And for those in need of these things, nothing is better than sausage, egg and cheese on a plain bagel from the Bagel Place. One caution when ordering this delicious combo, which also comes with bacon or ham – make sure you ask for your sandwich toasted. Non-toasted bagel sandwiches have the weird tasting combo of hot meat, non-melted cheese, lukewarm egg and cold bagel.

Sausage, egg and cheese bagel sandwich with water

Lunch

One piece of advice for LSC lunch goers: Be prepared for the sheer humanity that takes place in the food court during the lunchtime hour. With lines in pretty much every direction, a trip to this madhouse can be a little daunting. That is why I recommend the most underrated spot for food in the LSC, The Ramskellar.

It doesn’t matter if you can partake in one of the many beers on tap because the food alone is enough to satisfy even the most picky eater. I had my usual helping of chili served in a bread bowl for lunch and it was fantastic as usual. I believe the best way to have the chili is with grated cheddar cheese melted on top. The chili frito pie and fish and chips are also a great choice.

As far as beverages go, in addition to the many 21-and-over beverages, the ‘Skellar also serves the usual soda selections plus Sobes.

Chili in a bread bowl, pint of domestic beer plus $2 tip

Dinner

Now I understand that the LSC doesn’t sound like it would be home to a delicious meal, but some students would be surprised by the selection offered at the student center. With Subway, Carl’s Jr., the aforementioned ‘Skellar, and Panda Express all open past 6 p.m., the LSC is a great place to stop for a bite before a club meeting or library study session.

For dinner, I chose to partake in Panda Express. Now Panda Express may not be the healthiest place on earth (500 calories in one serving in Orange Chicken), however, the 2-entr/e plate is quite delectable. My personal favorite combo is sweet and sour pork (which can sometimes be a little too tangy) and mandarin chicken with a helping of fried rice. I would also recommend to wash down that deliciousness with a nice Diet Pepsi for a balanced meal.

2-entr/e plate with soda

Breakfast

Bagel Place in the food court or Bagel Place 2 next to Cam’s Corner Store

$4

Lunch

The Ramskeller, LSC’s basement

$10

Panda Express in the LSC food court

$7.92

Total: $21.92