Authors: Jeff Dillon

CSU women’s basketball has a chance to do something it hasn’t done since mid-December.

The Rams can pick up consecutive victories today at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena against the TCU Lady Frogs

CSU (7-14, 2-7) has not won back-to-back games since it defeated San Jose State and Oklahoma Panhandle State on Dec. 9 and Dec. 17.

After four suspensions, three player departures, several injuries and the addition of volleyball players for assistance against Wyoming, head coach Jen Warden said she is excited about moving forward.

“It was a difficult month,” she said. “I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated a team as much as I appreciate the team I’m coaching right now.”

Following Sunday’s 61-49 win over Air Force, the Rams have a chance to get a second straight conference victory.

Unfortunately for the Rams, it will have to come against a TCU team that beat them by 50 points earlier this season.

On Jan. 6, the Rams suffered their worst defeat of the season, shooting just 20 percent from the field in an 86-36 loss.

TCU (16-7, 6-3) is coming off Saturday’s 75-62 win at Nevada-Las Vegas which snapped its three-game losing streak.

The Lady Frogs are tied with Wyoming for third place in the Mountain West Conference, trailing BYU (7-1) and Utah (7-2) with less than four weeks left in the regular season.

Junior guard Adrianne Ross leads TCU and all Mountain West scorers with 17.1 points per game. Ross had 26 points in 22 minutes of play in the Lady Frogs’ January win over CSU.

Warden said her team must limit Ross this time around. France will get most of the work against her, she said.

Warden said that, for CSU, the rest of the season is a battle to climb the MWC standings and avoid getting stuck in the 8-and-9-seed play-in game in the conference tournament.

“I think right now the most winnable games are at the end of our schedule,” she said. “If we can snag a road win at Utah or New Mexico I think we can do it.”

CSU is in eighth place in the league, within one game of seventh-place San Diego State and two off of sixth-place UNLV.

The Rams have benefited lately from the stand-out play of senior center Marilyn Moulton, who, after scoring 10 points at most in her first 16 games, has posted 18, 17 and 20 points in three of her last four outings.

“I think she’s having more fun on the basketball court right now than she’s ever had,” said Warden.

CSU will need more of the same from Moulton, as it continues to play without Molly Nohr, who took a leave of absence two weeks ago and is not expected to return, as well as Kelly Jo Mullaney and Raysha Ritter, who declined to rejoin the team after their suspensions ended last week.

Women’s basketball beat writer Jeff Dillon can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

________________________________________

What: TCU at CSU women’s basketball

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Moby Arena

Radio: KIIX 1410 AM