New arts center boasted

Authors: Amy Robinson

CSU students, faculty and Fort Collins residents gathered Tuesday night in the Visual Arts Building to discuss plans for the new University Center for the Arts Museum.

Museum renovation will begin this spring at the old Fort Collins High School, 1400 Remington St.

The museum, scheduled to open in 2009, will house the permanent art collection. It is the third phase in the creation of the center.

Several programs, including art collections, will be moved to the UCA, said Linny Frickman, director of the Clara Hatton Gallery.

Frickman also said she thinks the change will help the university recruit performing and visual arts students at a higher level.

Two portions of the UCA have already been completed – the Edna Rizley Griffin Concert Hall and the Bohemian Theatrical Complex.

The idea to create a school of arts at a single location came from the combined forces of three departments: theatre and dance, art and music.

Gundlach, who works as an exhibit designer for the Fort Collins Museum, said he believes moving the collection to a bigger and better space is appropriate.

“We’ve talked about the changes briefly in class,” said art history post-bachelor Cory Gundlach. “I think it’s a good idea to move the art collection. I’d love to be a part of it.”

Long-time Fort Collins resident and former CSU chemistry professor, George Splittgerber agrees with Gundlach. Three of his sons attended the old Fort Collins High School.

“I have seen the new additions to the building, and I am in the theatre more than any other listener,” Splittgerber said. “I am interested in what they will do with the rest of the building.”

Staff writer Amy Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com